Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

News that grinds my gears

Alright, so everyday at 5 o'clock, the news comes on. I do watch it a lot because I like keeping up with the current news around the world. Truthfully, some of the news stories REALLY grind my gears. It bothers me so much that I am not hearing about the current war or international issues but instead get to listen to how a cat was saved after an electrical storm. I think news stations waste their time talking about stories that are not very beneficial to our country. I would rather be hearing about our current situations in Iraq and Afghanistan than people that got into a car accident on route three. Yes, I understand that it is sad and important to the family, but I do believe their are more important things going on out in the world. The government shields the media and only tells us what we want to hear and that is not very good. I want to know all the facts, good or bad. It isn't helping America when we are lied to and not know about what is going on around the world. During the Vietnam War, we weren't showed pictures of the innocent people we were killing Southeast Asia, but rather the media showed pictures of the United States Army doing good things like destroying enemy bases. This is still happening today! Half the things happening in Iraq are not told in the media and it leads to bad images of the opposing country. Yes, there are bad people, but there are still innocent people in Iraq that are still seen as enemies because of where they live. I believe that media outlets should tell the hard cold truth, whether we will like it or not.

1 comment:

  1. Jill, I completely agree with you about the news becoming information that seems almost completely irrelevant to my life. However, I think the display of the war should not be as extreme as you think it should be. Showing events such as killings of innocent people just brings a negative light to our army that should not be there. Everything we say or do should be in support of our country and the men and women who risk their lives for us. It is easy to sit here and say a, b and c about the hardships of war, but in reality many people know nothing about it and the military tactics that are necessary to having a successful military.

    ReplyDelete