Search This Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

Researching

I was reading an article today on how college kids have trouble researching and it really made me think. The website was called, College Students Don't Know how to Research and I thought, it's not only college kids, it's high school kids too. The habits I learn up until my last day as a senior, will be brought to college with me. All of the research projects I have ever done in high school have involved me just going on the internet and google my topic. Every now and then, my teacher tells us we have to use a book source, and that seems to freak everyone out. Our generation is based on technology; 15 years ago, instead of blogging, I would be writing in a journal or diary. This problem with being so connected to the internet has been a main factor for losing a lot of old habits. In elementary school, if I had to do a research project in Social Studies, I'd have to break out my encyclopedia's at home. Yes, I still have them! I know it's way easier to just type something and print it out, but it's so rewarding being able to open a book and actually find information no one else may have. College kids don't know how to research because in high school, it was okay to use search engines and websites like Wikipedia. Well news flash, these websites are not reliable. Wikipedia can be altered by anyone! I feel that if we were taught proper researching methods in middle school and high school, college students wouldn't be having this issue. Students can't be expected to know the proper way to research if we're not taught. Those computer classes we took in elementary school are not going to be beneficial enough to survive in college.

1 comment:

  1. When I went to college I was not expecting to be given a topic and having the professor say that I need to find journal articles that had peer reviews. At first I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about, thank god for the reference desk at the library. Students should be pushed, in high school, to use databases rather than just searching something on google. But my point is I think that high school teachers should be looking for the quality information that most college professors are looking for to better prepare students. I wish when I was in high school I was taught how to correctly find research on a topic whether it was using actual books or the internet.

    ReplyDelete