Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Death March

We live in a pretty cold part of America during the winter if you want my opinion. In the winter, I get up in the morning throw on sweatpants, my uggs, and a sweatshirt and pray I'll be warm enough for the frigid temperatures outside. When it comes to the weather, I am the biggest baby. I hate the cold and complain about it all the time. Every morning when I get to school, I park my car and get ready to make that long walk into the high school. Yeah it wasn't bad in nice 80 degree weather, but as the temperature has dropped, so has my will to make the walk. I know that everyone has complained about our walkway to the highschool, but i'm here to backup my statements. I come prepared everyday with a winter hat and and ice scraper in the back of my car, but it's not enough. When that freezing wind rips through my jeans, all i want to do is run back into my car. I think teachers and students should switch parking lots for a day to realize the everyday struggle we have. I don't even bother to dress up anymore because I know once I step out of my car, my legs will freeze because I'm wearing a skirt. Teachers may actually realize the pain we are put through everyday. I'm not allowed to leave my house if my hair is somewhat wet because I know that it will become crystallized on my walk in. Teachers say that what students wear shouldn't matter, but what if it was them? What if they had to dress like a scrub everyday because they didn't want to risk getting the flu? Not only is the walk long buts it's really dangerous in the snowy weather. When we get ice on the ground, the student population risks embarrassment if they fall. My friend last year slipped on ice walking to the stairs and really hurt her ankle. The stairs are a dangerous place. It's like that scene from Home Alone when the burglar is struggling up the icy stairs. We grab onto the railing for dear life and hope for the best. If someone just slipped, we could be looking at a concussion or broken bone. When it is icy, don't even think to walk up next to the stairs unless you want your boots or shoes to get snowy and wet and have numb feet for the next five hours. All in all, the student's walk to the high school everyday is a trek that separates the weak from the strong. I'm weak and would appreciate a closer walk...or heated boots.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Jill. When I had to make that walk into school everyday in the cold I hated it. I would have a chill for the rest of the day just because the winds were always so bad at 7:30 in the morning. And yes many times I have seen students slip on the ice and try to get up and slip again, so glad it wasn't me. I think that "weak" students should atleast be able to park down by the gym during the winter so they don't have to deal with that dangerous icy walk in the morning. And I don't think teachers would switch parking lots, but that would be an interesting experiment. Try to make that happen!

    ReplyDelete