Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

COLLEGE!

I just got a letter from one of my top choices this week that really made my day. It read, Congratulations, You are accepted into Roanoke College. Even though I haven't been down to see Roanoke, I've done virtual tours, and it's gorgeous. This letter kind of got me scared though. I've been living under my parent’s roof for the last 17+ years. Next year, I'll be away from them and there is always that possibility that I could never move back home. Don't get me wrong, I'm so excited for college, but I am worried. All the "what ifs" pop into my head. What if I get sick? What if I don't know where to go? What if my grades start to slip? It's not like my parents are going to make a 17 hour drive every time I have an issue. For Pete’s sake I don't even have my own bank account how am I going to live on my own!? I know every kid worries about this, but it's not the same for me. The farthest person that's moved away from my family has been to Florida and that only lasted 2 years! All of my siblings live in Boston or Lowell. I think that I'll get homesick and chicken out of doing one of the biggest things in my life. College is going to shape my future and I don't want to go to a mediocre school around here if I can get a better education somewhere else! Another problem is that I won't know anyone. What if I can't make friends or get a weird roommate? These thoughts are going to haunt me until the day I make the decision as to which school I attend. I'm excited for the future, but am I really ready for it? It doesn't seem like it matters if I'm ready or not, my future is coming no matter what.

2 comments:

  1. I stiil haven't gotten replies from colleges I am applying to. Waiting for the letter is very nerveracking! College is a huge step in life because you have to become more independent. And your right, we have to be ready because the future is coming no matter what. I also have the same concerns that you are having about being home sick, grades slipping, if I get sick, etc. But I am excited to be on my own and make new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JILL WHY HAVENT I GOT REPLIES?! can u call my schools?...ps congrats girll!!!

    ReplyDelete